Saturday, November 29, 2008

Midnight Showing of Twilight

Thursday, November 20 was the ultimate Girls' Night Out. It was the largest and most awaited Girls' Night that I've ever attended. It was the midnight showing of TWILIGHT! There were over 30 people who attended with our group (some teenagers, lots of Moms, a Grandma, and even a husband). We all bought our tickets in advance to attend the movie downtown at the Brenden Theaters. All of us love the Twilight series and could not wait to see how the movie would be.

Fourteen of us went out to eat before the movie. Kelly, Tanda, Lori, and Sherry

Lisa and Regina

Natalie, Ann, and Melinda
Amber and Julie

Jessica, me, and Stacey

More of our friends met us in line at the theater. There was a lot of excitement in the air as we waited outside the theater for about an hour. The line went around the block and was shown on three different screens. Several fans wore their Twilight shirts or dressed up like a vampire. It was amazing to see how many fans there are.Once they opened up the doors, we all scrambled to find the perfect seats. It was a bit crazy and chaotic. A lot of us got separated from each other, but we all found a seat. Then we just had to wait until midnight for the official movie date release (11-21-08). I felt a little wired. I think I had too much diet Pepsi at dinner and my body didn't know what to do with all that caffeine. Finally, a little after midnight, the waiting was over and the movie began. It began with Bella in Arizona (loved all the cactus plants) and showed her moving to Forks. Bella narrated throughout the movie. It was interesting to see how different characters were portrayed. I felt like Carlisle and Jasper were a bit over the top. I think Esme, Alice, and Rosalie were right on. Rosalie could have looked more model-like though. I think Kristen Stewart (Bella) and Robert Pattinson (Edward) did a thorough job with their roles. I guess my biggest disappointment came from the overall quality of the film. It seemed very low budget to me and the special effects weren't that great. I tried to go in with low expectations, but was still a bit disappointed. I thought the scene in the meadow where Edward shows Bella how he sparkles in the sun was weak. Jacob also seemed a bit awkward with his wig. It was a little over the top when they showed Carlisle biting and changing his family members, and when Edward sucked Bella's blood after James had bit her. I didn't really care for some of the cheesy comments throughout the movie, like when Eric shows Bella a worm at the greenhouse or how silly Jessica was when she tried on her prom dress. There are some things I really liked about the movie though. I really enjoyed the baseball scene. I thought James and the other vampires were interesting to watch. I was surprised at how nice looking Chief Swan was; I hadn't pictured him that young or good looking. I think the funniest part was when the Cullens were trying to make dinner for Bella and Rosalie broke the glass bowl when Bella said she'd already eaten. I did like the last scene at the prom. Bella looked really pretty in the blue dress, but I didn't like the sweater she wore with it. I read "Midnight Sun" the week the movie came out and I enjoyed reading everything from Edward's perspective. I think the movie did a good job incorporating some of the feelings and events that were described in "Midnight Sun." So there's my little review of Twilight. I've only seen it once and would like to see it again in the theater. A few friends told me they liked it better the second time. I guess they will be making "New Moon" into a movie. It will have a different director and I don't know if they'll be getting a different actor to play Jacob. I think it may have a bigger budget so the special effects may be better. "New Moon" is my least favorite book in the series, but of course I won't miss the movie. Thanks to all the Twilight fans who attended the midnight showing with me. I didn't let Courtney attend the midnight showing, but she saw the movie Saturday morning. By the way, we ordered some amazing Twilight bookmarks from ebay. Click on the link to see them. We especially liked #14 Twilight Bookmarks

No comments: