Saturday, November 29, 2008

Thanksgiving All Year Long

Thanksgiving has always been a favorite holiday for me. Yes, I do love that it involves eating, but that's not the main reason I love it. I love the concept behind it. I love taking time out to count my blessings and express gratitude for all that I have. I really try to make "thanks giving" a daily event for me. I've heard that people who are grateful for what they have experience more happiness in their lives. I saw a quote on a church's billboard that said, "Thanksgiving leads to thanks living." I try daily to have a thankful heart and realize that all my blessings come from the Lord. One way we can show the Lord we are grateful for our blessings is by expressing gratitude when we pray. Elder David Bednar discussed this in his conference talk, "Pray Always." He spoke about offering prayers of only thanks. I've tried this challenge before and it's amazing how many things there are to thank the Lord for. President Thomas S. Monson spoke about gratitude in his talk "Finding Joy in the Journey" I just want to share a couple paragraphs from his talk:

Said the Lord in a revelation given through the Prophet Joseph Smith, “In nothing doth man offend God, or against none is his wrath kindled, save those who confess not his hand in all things.” May we be found among those who give our thanks to our Heavenly Father. If ingratitude be numbered among the serious sins, then gratitude takes its place among the noblest of virtues.
Despite the changes which come into our lives and with gratitude in our hearts, may we fill our days—as much as we can—with those things which matter most. May we cherish those we hold dear and express our love to them in word and in deed.

When I taught third grade I always enjoyed teaching my students about the pilgrims and how they came to America for religious freedom. I am grateful to them, the founding fathers of America, and the Mormon pioneers. Because of all of them, I have the gospel in my life. For a few years now I've made a blessing mix that reminds us of all the sacrifices of the pilgrims. I got the recipe from my mom and like to layer it in a quart jar.


I attach a tag with these descriptions to it:

BLESSINGS MIX

*Bugles: Shaped like a cornucopia or Horn of Plenty, a symbol of our nation's abundance.
*Candy corn: Sacrifices of the Pilgrims' first winter. Food was so scarce that settlers survived on just a few kernels of corn a day.
*Nuts: Promise of a future harvest, one we will reap only if seeds are planted and
tended with diligence.
*Raisins: Harvest gifts of our bountiful land.
*M&Ms: Memories of those who came before us to guide us to a blessed future.
*Pretzels: Arms folded in prayer, a freedom sought by those who founded our country.

Even when I have a bad day, I always realize how very blessed I am. I just wanted to list a few of my greatest blessings. First, I am most grateful for my Savior, Jesus Christ, and His atonement for me. I would really have no purpose without Him and His plan. I am so
thankful that because of His atonement I can be forgiven of my many sins and mistakes. I am grateful for Jesus and the perfect example he set for me to follow. I am so blessed to have such a wonderful husband. I am so thankful we were able to be married in the temple and are sealed for eternity. Lloyd is a very patient, loving, and loyal person. I feel so honored to be his wife. I am so thankful for my five healthy children. I feel so blessed that I was able to have five children. My heart goes out to couples who aren't able to have children. I am so very blessed! My children are my greatest challenge and my greatest blessing. I am so grateful for my healthy body. I love to exercise and feel so thankful I can. I am also thankful for our jobs, especially in this economy. I am grateful for our warm home, our clothes, and our food. I often realize how much I take for granted and how so many others have less than me. I could go on and on about my many blessings. I am so thankful for all that I have been blessed with.

No comments: