Saturday, August 22, 2009

My Third Triathlon

I did my third triathlon on August 15. I was excited to do it with my friends, Ann Seymour and Cindy Decker. It was their first one. It was Tami Dixon's second one. This triathlon was the Tri for Fun in Plesanton. It was the same one as the first one I did on June 20. My goal was to beat my time by at least 5 minutes. I had improved a lot on the swim and the bike. At least, I had a new derailleur and knew my chain wouldn't come off this time. I knew the run would be a challenge because I was having heel or plantar fasciitis pain. I ran a half marathon the week before this triathlon and was in a lot of pain during and after that race. Some friends and family tried to tell me not to do the triathlon because of my heels, but I really wanted to do it. I figured I could make it through 3.1 miles of running. It was very crowded at the event. They estimated almost 1000 people participated in it. I tried to stay away from the large group during the swim. I swam on the outskirts of the pack, but it was still very crowded and I did get hit a couple times. I made most of my improvements on the bike. My chain didn't come off at all and my shoelace didn't wrap around my pedal. My run was about the same as last time. My heels didn't hurt too much. I ended up bettering my time by just less than five minutes - 4:46 to be exact. Not too bad. I still don't have my road bike, but my birthday is just around the corner. I am looking forward to improving even more. My friends did awesome. Ann finished in 1 hour 9 minutes. Cindy did it in 1 hour 19 minutes. Tami bettered her time by 8 minutes! We really had a blast!

No comments: