Thursday, April 10, 2008

A Surprise Party in Arizona

On March 28 my mother turned the big 60! She'd probably rather me not comment on what number birthday it was, but doesn't she look fabulous for being sixty or is it sixty and still sexy? Anyway, although my mom lives in San Jose she was in Arizona on her birthday because she was there to help my sister with her new baby. My brother Brad also lives in Arizona, so my brother, Bryce, his wife, my stepfather and I decided to come out to Arizona for a surprise birthday party. I left Friday afternoon and came back on Sunday morning. It was a very quick trip, but it was great to get away all by myself. I wish Lloyd could have come, but he was kind enough to stay behind with the kids. We celebrated my mom's birthday at one of her favorite Mexican restaurants in Mesa. We all yelled "Surprise" when she walked in. She looked excited!












My sister made my mom wear a tiara with "60" on it and a birthday queen sash. What a beauty!






The party wasn't huge, our family, a very close friend, Pat, whom my mom met from when she was in the Singles Program, and a cousin of Jay's.

Pat, my mom, Bryce and Chareen



Cayden (Brad's son), Jay, and Jay's cousin

Brad, Anahi, and their baby, Dylan


Matt, Karen, Ethan, and me


A group shot in front of the restaurant.


After the party, we went back to my sister's house to give my mom her presents. Her most special gift was a video made by the whole family. The video included photos of my mom throughout her life and messages from her kids, grandkids, and husband. We loved sharing memories and looking at all the old photos. I won't post it online because it's an hour long. My brother, Bryce, made the video and he did a fantastic job!

On Saturday I got to sleep in really late, read a book by the pool, and we had a family barbecue. I loved seeing my sister's new little baby. She was born on March 14 and is named Adelaide Kathleen (same middle name as my mom). She was a couple weeks early, she weighed 7 pounds 2 ounces. She was two weeks old when I got to see her for the first time. She was so tiny and precious; she mostly sleeps, but is so sweet to hold. I also got to play with Karen's son, Ethan, who is about 20 months old. I told Karen I'm trying to be a fun Aunt like she has always been to my kids.







Baby "Addie" - what a little angel!

I

I feel so blessed I got to go to Arizona for my mom's birthday and to see my new niece (she's actually my first niece). I really needed a little break from my kids, especially Cameron. I look forward to a time when Lloyd and I can get away together. It's amazing what a little vacation can do!

No comments: