Monday, August 23, 2010

My Utah Get Away

On August 18 I was able to take a trip to Utah all by myself. Lloyd went to Utah last November so now it was my turn. I was thrilled to be able to catch up with old friends and spend a day at BYU education week. Since I was only there for three and a half days I didn't want to spread myself too thin so I just focused on being able to see my two close friends, Laura and Kim. I was totally surprised and excited when I learned I was on the same flight to Utah as our good friend, Scott Wyckoff. We visited the whole flight and then I was able to visit with Rebekah Wyckoff when she picked us up from the airport. I was thrilled to see the Wyckoff family and there new home in Holladay. Here's a picture of me and Rebekah. A visit with her was a treat I had not expected!

On Thursday I spent the day with my very dear friend, Laura Reese. We have known each other since we were teenagers and were roommates in college. Laura and I both love to talk and I wasn't surprised that when I spent the night we stayed up until 4 am talking. Laura has so many talents and I love hearing about all her new endeavors. She is a great mom to four children, including two identical twin girls. She regularly volunteers at the hospital helping mothers with high-risk pregnancies. She is also very talented at blogging, decorating, fashion, computer/technology. She is always teaching me something new. She was the one who encouraged me to start this blog over three years ago! Laura loves to dress her children in the latest styles and she makes sure to always get a bargain. Then she turns around and resells the clothes on ebay; sometimes she sells them for buy than she paid. She also loves to read and is always the one I ask when I need a good book club pick. I will forever be grateful to Laura for the love and support she showed me during the Fall of 1994. I was a newlywed and Lloyd was gone in the Navy. Laura was taking a semester off from school. We were both lonely and really needed a friend. We went almost every day together talking, shopping, watching movies, and being friends. Laura was there for me during a very challenging time and I will never forget her kindness.While I was visiting Laura I was able to go on a six mile run around her home in Sandy. I thought it would be great training for my Half Ironman. I had the challenge of running the hills and running at a higher altitude. It was a great run! Laura was kind enough to take me to two Utah-only stores, Lime Ricki swimwear and Down East Outfitters. I've ordered online before, but it was great to go to the actual store! Then Laura and I met her two sisters and mother for dinner. Laura's sister, Holly was also my roommate at BYU. In fact, Holly and I were roommates my entire time at BYU. I also love Laura's mom and her sweet nature. It was wonderful to see the Alldredge girls.
The next day I spent with my close friend Kim Matz. Kim and I have known each other since we were six and have been best friends since we were 13. She is always there for me no matter what. She listens, encourages, offers advice, and truly loves me. I am so grateful for her friendship; it truly means the world to me. The last time Kim and I saw each other was November 2006 so we were so glad to be reunited. Kim has lots of talents too. She loves to read and watch movies; she was the first one to tell me about the Twilight series. Kim also loves to bake and decorate cakes. She made a cake for me to enjoy while I was there! I am so proud of Kim because she recently lost over 60 pounds and she is meticulous about keeping it off. We spent Friday at BYU education week. We were able to hear some hear some good speakers like John Byetheway, Merrilee Boyack, and Marvin Goldstein. The talks were fun and inspirational, but the best part was being with Kim. The other best part was the BYU mint brownies. They were amazing! It's a good thing they didn't have those when I was at BYU.
Another highlight of Education Week was reuniting with my favorite speaker from my teen years, Brad Wilcox. I loved this guy as a teenager - I mean really loved him. Most teenagers love rock stars or movie stars, but my idol was Brad Wilcox. I love his enthusiasm for life, his honesty, his teaching techniques, and his love. In over 20 years, Brad is still just as amazing. He is so popular I had to wait a long time to get this photo, but it was worth it!

On Saturday Kim and I had a Girls Day Out. We went and got facials at the Beauty College. I love facials; it's the ultimate form of relaxation. Then I got to go to another Utah favorite, Cafe Rio! This was my first time at a Cafe Rio restaurant. I've eaten the food before when my friend Ashleigh has made it. This food is the best - my mouth is watering just looking at this picture. Everything tasted just as good as when Ashleigh has made it, but the Cafe Rio tortillas were so much better. I can't wait to go to Utah again and go to Cafe Rio. After lunch Kim and I went to see "Knight and Day" at the movies. Then we had a barbecue with Kim's family. They have a great backyard. That evening Kim and I had a mint Oreo milkshake for dessert - so yummy!

The next day I got to go to church with Kim and her family. I was curious to visit her Young Womens since I am also serving in Young Womens in my ward. I love these pictures of me and Kim. I put the photo below in a frame on my dresser and I love seeing it every day. I loved doing tons of fun things with Kim, but the best part was just talking and being with her. We can talk for hours and hours. I love her so much. Being with her for just a couple days was such a gift. I am so glad I was able to take this trip.

2 comments:

Laura said...

I have enjoyed reading every post but this post really meant so much to me. I cannot believe that tribute you wrote to me. I hardly deserve that! What a sweet thing to do. I cannot tell you how much it meant to me. I love you! Thank you for always being such a source of love and friendship to me. I appreciate it so much!

James Cox said...

Hi I am Courtney's friend James! She told me if you knew her friends were reading you would post more. I think this blog is really cool!