Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Star Wars Party

My kids always look forward to their birthday parties. Sometimes they even start talking about them six months in advance. We've done lots of different themes - swim party, luau, train, slumber party, High School Musical, girly girl, etc. I usually feel pretty comfortable with the theme. I try to decorate and plan activities to go with the theme. Well, when Cameron insisted that he have a Star Wars party I felt stumped. I don't really know that much about Star Wars - that's Lloyd's thing. I haven't watched the movies and don't know the lingo. Sure, I know who the main character are - Darth Vader, Luke Skywalker, Yoda, and Princess Leia, but that's about it. There was no changing Cameron's mind about the Star Wars theme so I knew I would have to do some research for this party. Thank goodness for the internet! There were tons of ideas for Star Wars birthday parties. I also went to wikipedia to make sure I had all the correct terms like light saber (I thought it was lifesaver!), Jedi, Padawan, Jedi Knight, the Force, etc. Looking back on it, I had a lot of fun planning this party for Cameron, and Cameron absolutely loved it!

Here's all the supplies we used for a successful party: Star Wars party goods from Party City including a Darth Vader pinata, Jedi training badges for all the boys, Star Wars coloring sheets, a Star Wars Trouble game and matching game, lots of Star Wars toys, Star Wars Bingo game purchased online (the photos were great), light sabers made from foam pipe insulation and different tape (bought at Home Depot), Pop Rocks for game winners, and cupcakes with Star Wars pencil sharpeners on top.


As the boys arrived they had fun playing with all the Star Wars toys. A friend was kind enough to let me borrow some.

We also played a game called "Help Restore Order to the Galaxy." Each boy was either on the Empire team or the Rebellion team. They earned points for their team by placing their sticking on asteroids with different point values.

Princess Leia (Katelyn) came to help out at the party. We had asteroid pizza, light saber bread sticks, and Yoda soda for lunch.
Then the boys did their Jedi training and prepared for any attacks.
Sure enough, Darth Vader (Lloyd) showed up and kidnapped Princess Leia. Each of the boys individually fought Darth Vader, using the skills they had learned from the Jedi training.
In the end, all the boys attacked Darth Vader and the Jedis prevailed!




It was a great party for our six-year old Star Wars enthusiast and all his friends.

No comments: