Wednesday, July 9, 2008

ARE WE CRAZY?


Today Lloyd and I are celebrating our 14th anniversary. We can't believe it's been 14 years. Well, we must be crazy because we are celebrating our anniversary and Lloyd's 35th (tomorrow) birthday by spending the night in Yosemite and hiking to the top of Half Dome. Half Dome is a granite dome that is more than 4, 737 ft above the valley floor. We will wake up around 5:00 am to begin the 9-10 hour hike that is mostly all uphill and then all downhill. We will hike over 15 miles with 4,800 ft of elevation gain. The final point of the hike is a 400 ft climb up the rock between two steel cables used as handholds. There have only been 9 fatal falls from the cables - 3 last year! Also, tomorrow is predicted to be a very hot day. Luckily, Lloyd survived making it to the top of Half Dome twice already. This will be my first time, but I am always up for a challenge. We've packed our water, Gatorade, sunscreen, and high calorie snacks to get us through. Our kids are staying with a couple in our ward. This is probably a crazy way to spend our anniversary, but we're excited for our little adventure. We'll be taking lots of pictures so we'll let you know how it goes -- we're hoping to make it back alive.


4 comments:

Mom said...

Kristi and Lloyd,

Happy Anniversary and Happy Birthday Lloyd! I just looked at the Half Dome picture and took a big gulp. I will sure be happy when I get the call that you have descended. I know you will have a great time. I love you and hope you have fun. I admire your spirit of adventure. I love you both, Mom

GrandpaJay said...

Best wishes to you both. (I'll bet the kids enjoy their time 'away' too!) And I hope all you suffer is no more than some sore muscles. I'll bet it is spectacular. Can't wait to see the photos you shoot. Hold on to your camera!

Love,
Jay

Sara said...

Yes, you are a little crazy, but you two are always up for an adventure! Enjoy those hours together. It will be a great goal to accomplsih together.
Wow! 14 years. Congratulations.

ShanE said...

Congrats to you both on 14 years of marriage! You look like you had an awesome time. Let's get together soon!

Shannon Earle