Sunday, September 20, 2009

Book of Mormon Reading Challenge


On June 21 our ward Relief Society challenged us to read the Book of Mormon in 90 days. They gave us each a reading schedule and a scripture journal. To read the book of Mormon in 90 days, you have to read about 3 chapters a day. I decided I would take on the challenge and try to read the entire Book of Mormon in 90 days. I knew it would be hard to make the time to read each day, but I also knew I would be blessed for doing it. I was motivated to keep up because Sister Gariety from our ward did a weekly drawing for anyone who kept up with the reading. I ended up winning the drawing a couple times. I got some candy, scripture markers, and a gift card to the yogurt store. I have to admit, I didn't keep up with my reading every day. Sometimes on Saturdays I would have to play catch up for the days that I missed, but I was always motivated to be caught up by Sunday. I wanted to be able to add my name to the weekly drawing. Yes, the weekly drawings motivated me to read, but my real motivation came from the blessings I received from reading the Book of Mormon. Because I read it more than a chapter at a time, I really understood it more and came to truly feast upon the word. Yes, I have read the Book of Mormon a few times throughout my life, but I think I got the most out of it this time. I came to really know and love the people in the Book of Mormon. A favorite scripture I now have is 2 Nephi 2:22:
"Behold, God is my salvation; I will trust, and not be afraid: for the Lord Jehovah is my strength and my song, he also has become my salvation."
I ended up completing the Book of Mormon on September 18. Thanks to the encouragement and support of the Relief Society I read the Book of Mormon in 90 days. We had a culminating RS activity with one final drawing for a gift card for a facial. I actually won the final drawing. I felt a little uncomfortable about winning. I wondered if I should give it to someone else since I had just had a facial for my birthday. Well, I decided to graciously accept the gift. I am saving it for a Valentine's Day or Mother's Day gift to myself. I am more than thrilled that I won a facial, but the real blessing came from the reading of the Book of Mormon. My testimony of its truthfulness has grown. I truly believe the quote below:
The Prophet Joseph Smith declared that “the Book of Mormon [is] the most correct book of any book on earth, and the keystone of our religion.” He said that “a man would get nearer to God by abiding by its precepts, than by any other book.” (History of the Church, 4:461.) The Book of Mormon was written for our day.
Unfortunately, I haven't kept up with my reading since I completed the 90 day challenge. I need to get back on track. I will always be grateful for this challenge the Relief Society gave us. I know my knowledge and testimony of the gospel will continue to grow throughout my life.

No comments: