Sunday, September 20, 2009

Time Out For Women


I attended my fourth Time Out for Women on September 18-19. This one was held in Pleasanton. Eight of us from our ward got together and stayed in a hotel on Friday night. I drove up with my good friend Cindy. We had so much fun visiting and then even got the chance to read by the pool for a while. We all went to dinner at Mimi's Cafe on Friday evening. It was the best. I loved getting a break from home and being able to visit with such wonderful women. The speakers on Friday night were Sherri Dew and Wendy Watson Nelson. They both spoke a lot about personal revelation. They inspired us to know who we really are. We also need to know what our Savior did for us. And we should be receiving personal revelation on a consistent basis. Revelation on what our mission here on earth and how we should go about fulfilling that mission. The theme of the conference was "sweet assurance." They asked us what we truly know to be true. They also asked us to think about questions or challenges we had that could be answered at the conference. I had a very spiritual experience as I sat there thinking about those things. I had an overwhelming feeling that I literally KNOW that I am my Heavenly Father's daughter. I felt an all encompassing feeling that my Heavenly Father loves me unconditionally. He is mindful of me on a daily basis. He is aware of me. He knows my challenges, the desires of my heart,and He wants me to be happy. It's hard to put the feeling I had into words,but it was a wonderful spiritual experience.

On Saturday there were four different speakers and music by Hilary Weeks. I really like Hilary Weeks sense of humor and down to earth personality. I even checked out her blog! She is a bit of a Mormon celebrity with being a recording artist and going to TOFWs all around the country, but she is also just a normal, every day wife and mother. The other speakers were Kim Nelson, S. Michale Wilcox, DeAnne Flynn,and Kris Belcher. Here are just a few highlights or quotes from each speaker. S. Michael Wlicox reminded us that "Obedience is not perfection." That's a great quote for me that I will remember for a long time. DeAnne Flynn spoke about not making our lives too busy. She discussed the importance of letting things go so we have more time to connect as a family. We can have "less contention and more connection." Kim Nelson was very funny when he pulled out his doily table cloth. He told a story about a sister he gave a priesthood blessing to who would probably be in chronic pain for the rest of her life. Instead of asking to be healed or for things to change, she simply asked , "Please bless me that I will come to love my new life." I think my favorite speaker of the day was Kris Belcher. She is blind. She was absolutely hilarious and had us laughing do hard. She spoke of how she came to be blind and the challenges it brings into her life. She reminded us that with God all things are possible. We need to laugh and have hope for an even better world. The whole conference was a tremendous experience. After I got home from Time Out for Women, I wrote on Facebook, I feel "uplifted, inspired, loved, joyful, relaxed, blessed, and motivated." I am so glad I got to go!

No comments: